"Can you hear me?" phone scam

This entry was 849 times viewed.

my.check-caller.com Forums Calls – Experiences "Can you hear me?" phone scam

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Sarah91 Sarah91 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    flowers
    flowers
    Participant

In the news I heard something about the “Can you hear me?” phone scam.
    I just can remember that you should not say “yes” because they record it.
    Has this happened to someone of you?

avo@home
    avo@home
    Participant

Yes, I got a call saying “This is Allison from the Warranty Department. Can you hear me okay?”

noname
    noname
    Participant

I received a similar call: “so-and-so” from the service department, can you hear me ok?
    -> If you get a call like this: do not respond yes! They are recording your answer immediately!

Susann85
    Susann85
    Keymaster

The growing “Can you hear me?” phone scam is very dangerous, because you will be a victim uttering just the one word “yes”!

At the beginning you hear an introduction from a company / agency / … Some may say “I’m having trouble with my headset”. After that they will ask you, if you can hear clearly. The recording stars immediately. The scammers use your answer “yes” as an affirmation to sign up for something (products, services,…). If you get an unsolicited robocall, avoid answering with “yes”, “sure” or “OK”. It is safer just to hang up.

Please report the number at check-caller.com to help to warn others.

For more information check Better Business Bureaus.

Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

I got a call and he asked if I could hear him and I said yes.
    Hope this wasn’t the scam where they are trying to record people s voices saying yes. He tried to tell me that I’d been selected for an all-expense vacation. I hung up on him.

After reading your information about the “Can you hear me?” phone scam, I’m unfortunately sure, that this call was a scam …

Susann85
    Susann85
    Keymaster

I guess your’re right.

Thank you, for sharing your experience with our community!

sunnysky
    sunnysky
    Participant

I received a call from 662 995 8012. The man said he was with some type of medical alert system.
    He then ask can you hear me and I said I can , but I don t need anything like that.
    I then remembered about the news report where the caller ASKED CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW AND I WONDERED IF THIS WAS A SCAM .
    I m reporting this call to Brandon Presley s office since I m on the do not call list.

Sarah91
    Sarah91
    Keymaster

„Can you hear me?“ is back!

This well-known scam now returns with a travel twist. It works like before, but now scammers are pretending to be from Trip Advisor. They`re offering discounted cruises, travel packeges or a stay in famous resorts. Please remember not to respond „yes“.

Here are some advices from bbb.org how to spot this current scam:

• Just hang up and don’t call back.
    • Don’t believe Caller ID. Caller ID spoofing makes it very easy for callers to pretend to be someone else.
    • Join the Do Not Call Registry
    • Always check your credit card, phone, and cable statements carefully for any unfamiliar charges.

Please, take care and read more about Caller ID Spoofing and the Do Not Call Registry in our forums.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.